Last Friday I paid a visit to Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet which is in North London supposedly to pick up a P-H Midland 2100 in 308 however as he was tied up with a customer I had time to peruse the racks. Always a bad idea that and I found the Midland but I also found a 1100 Light weight also in 308. This 1100 Lwt is in cleaner condition and has the P-H scope blocks fitted but no scope unlike the Midland which had an Appollo 3 Star 3-9x40 and the 1100 was marked up at £50 more.
After examining them both and disscussing it with Joe I decided to pick the 1100 and we haggled a little over the price and split the difference . After getting it home I did the usual clean and found that the bore was fouled with leading, obviously from cast bullets and set about removing it. Got most out but the final bit was stubborn so I resorted to firing a couple of jacketed rounds out back to clear it out which sort of worked, two was not enough but it did reveal the copper fouling under the lead so a deep clean was called for. So scrubbing and soaking with P-H 009 cleaned then wiping out was followed by spraying the bore with Forrest Foaming bore cleaner. Two applicatons of which helped a lot.
I put a Leupold M8 Compact 4x scope in some P-H one piece alloy mount on it but didn't like the way it looked to got an old Nikko Sterling
"Special" 4x32 with Post and cross hair reticle out and put that on in P-H rings and it looks better. set up a target out back on the field at 25
yards and after using the collimeter adjusted both scopes to be about on with some old loads I had on hand. Due to it's lack of weight I think I will try
to find a load for the Hornady 130 grain spire points as with the old load with 165 grain Bal Tips recoil; was sharp enough to knock my ball cap off when the
scope eye bell caught the peak. The 130 grain load was much more pleasent so have to look at what we can get using this bullet.
Right now I am re-doing the finish on the stock as it was worn away in a couple of places and after cleaning the grime off looked a little tired in good light. There are a couple of small marks from handling but I have not removed them as they are small I am just replacing the finish with an oiled one and of course this will show off the grain better . The factory finish if this is indeed what was on it came of very easily using paint stripper however I do think that the bedding might need looking at as it looks like someone has tried to improve it and squeezing the fore end gets creaks so it's moving . Once I get the finish done we will look further at the bedding issue. Have taken some photos of it before I started and will take more at it progresses but have some conflict issues with the camera's software and the XP this system uses. My own PC an old 350 Mghz IBM has problems so might have to go to town and get the photos put onto a disc off the card beofre I can do anything with them so photos will be later.
Oh the 1100 is of 1986 vintage according to the view mark and this makes the third 1100 variant I now have the others are :-
1100M in 458 Win Mag
1100 De Luxe in 30-06